Image from evidencebasedbirth.com
Why practice skin to skin in the hospital?
1. Baby is happier and will cry less
2. Temperature is more stable
3. Heart rate is more regulated
4. Breathing rate is more stable
5. Maintains healthy blood sugar
6. Baby is more likely to breastfeed sooner, longer and much more easily
7. Baby is exposed to normal bacteria on the mother, which can protect them
8. Increases bonding
9. Decreases mom's anxiety
10. Decreases mom's postpartum pain
Why practice skin to skin at home?
1. Calm a fussy baby
2. Stimulate a sleepy baby to nurse
3. Keep baby warm and comforted
4. Helps dad with bonding
Whether in the hospital or at home, Kangaroo Care is one of the best things you can do for your baby! It is suggested to practice several times a day (about 1 hour) decreasing slowly until about 3 months. It can be difficult to practice skin-to-skin in public. The Kangaroo Care Collection can help.